[Gdal-dev] Changing Default for GeoTIFF driver to INTERLEAVE=PIXEL

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 1 18:42:26 EDT 2007

Folks,

For nearly ten years now I have had GDAL defaulting to BAND interleaving
for TIFF files.  I did this because I felt it gave the best performance for
TIFF access from the fairly band oriented GDAL.  However, despite my fondest
wishes the world is still full of applications with half-assed TIFF support
that cannot read band interleaved TIFF files.  In the interest of removing
a lot of user frustration and pain I have modified the GeoTIFF driver to
default to INTERLEAVE=PIXEL instead of INTERLEAVE=BAND.

I haven't done any performance tests, but I believe for some applications
this will have somewhat worse performance.  To get the old behavior just
specify INTERLEAVE=BAND when creating geotiff files.

This change will first appear in the GDAL 1.5 release.

On this point, my spirit has been crushed.  Who knows what will happen next?
Perhaps I'll give up on my 15 year long crusade to pretend that PixelIsPoint
does not existing in GeoTIFF!