[Gdal-dev] error 1: JPEGSetupEncode:RowsPerStrip must be multiple of 8 for JPEG

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Aug 7 09:45:02 EDT 2007

WolfgangZ wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to convert some TIFFS so that the compression is JPEG.
> The source image was a tiff with a color palette. I used pct2rgb to
> convert it first.
>
> D:\todonew>gdal_translate -of GTIFF -co "COMPRESS=JPEG" E48-104.tif
> E48-104j.tif
> Input file size is 8000, 5778
> 0ERROR 1: JPEGSetupEncode:RowsPerStrip must be multiple of 8 for JPEG
> ERROR 1: TIFFWriteScanline failed.
>
> I'm using the FWTools 1.3.5 on WinXP.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

I think the quick workaround is to set the rows per strip explicitly:

   gdal_translate -of GTIFF -co "COMPRESS=JPEG" -co BLOCKYSIZE=8 \
            E48-104.tif E48-104j.tif

But the driver should really be picking an appropriate default
strip size. So I'd appreciate your filing a detailed bug report in
Trac on the issue.