[Gdal-dev] Proper way to load a NETCDF file in OpenEV

Rich Signell rsignell at usgs.gov
Mon Aug 27 17:53:35 EDT 2007

GDAL folks,

I'm having trouble figuring out the proper way to load a NetCDF file
made with GMT using OpenEV on a Windows machine.

I have a small NetCDF file "test36.grd" that I made with GMT:

       http://stellwagen.er.usgs.gov/rps/share/test36.grd

This is the "new" style GMT NetCDF file that writes a 2D
array for the "z" values.

On Linux, I just do "openev -h test36.grd", using 1.3.6 and the grid
just pops right up (sadly, upside down, but this is another issue that
has been previously discussed on this list, see:
http://tinyurl.com/2wl84j).

When I type in Open=>"c:\downloads\test36.grd" OpenEV on my PC, I get
varying behavior depending on the OpenEV version:

Version 1.1.2:  prompts me for a "subdataset selection".   I click on
"z" and the file loads and displays (although it displays upside
down).

Version 1.3.6: says "Error: Unable to open c:\downloads\test36.grd"
and I never get the prompt for the subdataset selection.

But I first use Version 1.1.2, then use Version 1.3.6, I see

NETCDF:"c:\downloads\test36.grd":z

listed under the File menu as previously opened.  And if I click on
that, the file loads and displays.

I tried to type this into the file box, but that didn't work.

Can anyone explain this behavior and the proper way to open a NetCDF
file on Windows?

Thanks,
Rich
--