[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.5, TileService and TileCache

Klokan Petr Přidal klokan at klokan.cz
Fri Dec 21 09:32:47 EST 2007

Hi Guillamume,

For what you are describing I would recommend you to use project
TileCache http://www.tilecache.org/.

I don't know what you mean with "new GDAL TileService".
There is a new
 - WMS read only GDAL driver (Google SoC: Adam Nowacki) that supports
reading of remote sources like WMS, WMS-C and WorldWind's TileService.
 - GDAL2Tiles tool (Google SoC: me), which generate TMS tiles with
simple html viewers and eventually KML for Google Earth.

Yes, TileService is WorldWind only, TMS (OSGeo TileMapService) is more general.
If you are interested in available tile formats, standard tile
projections etc. look at links from document
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pm3_jKEJCJ2e2wiIfjdBABg

If I get it correctly your first idea was:
By a GDAL command line tool (like gdal2tiles.py) generate static tiles
from a remote WMS server and use that static tiles instead of
TileCache project?

I think this will not run for now - especially for global
(geodetic/mercator) tiles, because GDAL2Tiles do not support yet TMS
global profiles. It is planned. Then it could run this way I hope, if
the new WMS driver allow correct read of a remote raster.

Adam Nowacki:
Would it be hard to add support for reading remote TMS tiles generated
by GDAL2Tiles (link to TileMapResource.xml is enough I hope) and
probably also for Zoomify tiles (I did prototype in python for zoomify
tiles download script, which could be used as inspiration - look at
http://www.staremapy.cz/zoomify-analyza/).
The reason for this is that we need to rectify (by gdalwarp) remote
tiles - usually old maps published by libraries.
Idea is that one person publish the map without georeference as
TMS/Zoomify tiles, and somebody else can rectify it later by an online
tool similar to Metacarta Rectifier.

Merry x-mas to everybody

Klokan