[gdal-dev] change in ECW license agreement

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Dec 11 12:26:06 EST 2007

Hello Folks,

In recent discussion with a sales representative ER Mapper, now owned by
Leica Geosystems Geospatial Imaging, it came to light that there is a
new End User License Agreement in effect for the ECW/JP2 SDK, as of this
week. (I'm trying to determine what license we need to buy in order to
use gdal_translate to create ecw larger than 500mb).

The new EULA mentions open source projects specifically in a couple of
provisions.  I'm not going to go so far as to interpret them, because
I'll probably get it wrong! From my limited understanding it does look
like some things might need to be changed in how GDAL packages and
distributes the ECW driver, and that an organisation which uses open
source ecw-using tools to produce products it sells might be considered
commercial use(?).

In any case, there are people here who the changes will impact and would
want to be aware of it. If the attached document does not make it
through, the EULA can be found at
http://www.ermapper.com/Downloads.aspx?v=315 (after free registration,
the EULA will be shown before download begins).

matt wilkie
Geographic Information,
Information Management and Technology,
Yukon Department of Environment