[Gdal-dev] Warping MODIS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 7 14:40:09 EST 2007

Jose Luis Gomez Dans wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have read a couple of postings regarding MODIS subsetting and warping. I
> have been using HEGTools up to now, but I find that having just GDAL in my
> processing chain makes life easier. So far, i understand that I need to warp
> a subdataset off the HDFEOS file to change the ellps parameter so that the
> subdataset is available in Lat/Long WGS84. This seems to work, and I can the
> reproject into UTMXX/DatumXYZ again. This requires a gdalwarp, a
> gdal_translate and a further gdalwarp. is there a more direct route?

Jose,

You would need to be more specific about what exact steps you are doing.
Off hand I would think you could do things in a single gdalwarp from
a subdataset to an output file in UTM using the -s_srs switch to override
the interpretation of the input coordinate system if required.

> Further, is the gdalwarper API available for python? The docs say it is
> incomplete, but maybe there have been new developments? Idea is to have the
> previous process sit in the middle of a python program :)

Currently the only aspect of the warper that is exposed in Python is the
AutoCreateWarpedVRT() function.  It is also possible to manually construct
a warped VRT (as XML) in Python and use that as input to CreateCopy() to
cause a warp to occur.  But there is no tight integration between the
warp api and python.