[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.4.0, VC8, Python and Numpy

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Feb 12 12:46:07 EST 2007

Ivan Lucena wrote:
> It looks like the reasons for my problems are related to:
>
> "error: Python was built with version 7.1 of Visual Studio, and extensions need t
> o be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't installed."
>
> Unless someone has a better solution I going to move back to VC 7.

You only other options are:

1) rebuild Python itself and every other extension you use.

2) use MingGW, after googling to see the hacks you need to make it work.
It's not very hard.

3) figure out how the heck to build extensions with a different MS
compiler than the one used to build Python. You'd think that if you can
build extensions with a completely different compiler (mingw) then you
could build them with a different version of the MS compiler. AFAIK, the
issue is not the compiler, but the system libs -- different versions of
VS also use different versions of the basic C libs. If you could figure
out how to get a newer compiler to use older libs, you may be able to
get it to work. However, I don't think anyone has ever done this, and
there area a lot of smart people building Python....

So, yes, going back to VC 7 is probably your best bet.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov