[Gdal-dev] creating files with multiple-bands with different data types

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 13 16:47:22 EST 2007

Dadi, Upendra wrote:
> Hi,
>    Is it possible using GDAL to create Geotiff files with multiple bands
> with each band having a different data type?

Upendra,

No, GDAL does not support creating or reading such files.

 > Does Geotiff standard even allow that?

This is legal in the TIFF specification, but non-baseline.  I however
consider it perverse. :-)

 > I want to merge multiple Geotiff files, each file containing
> a single band, into a single geotiff file. The data types of the single
> band files are all different. The data type of each band should be
> preserved during with transformation. Is it possible? Any help is
> greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Perhaps what you need to do is append them into one GeoTIFF file with
each band as a seperate image directory.   In this case different types
are ok.  Nevertheless, it will still be quite hard to create or utilize
such images with GDAL.