[Gdal-dev] Java bindings and wkb support, a patch for gdal

Andrea Aime aaime at openplans.org
Thu Feb 15 02:48:39 EST 2007

Frank Warmerdam ha scritto:
> Tamas Szekeres wrote:
>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> Though I'm not the dedicated java maintainer I volunteer to commit
>> such changes if Benjamin will not be around.

Many thanks :-)

> Andrea,
>
> I'd add that since Benjamin seems a bit missing-in-action, I'd be pleased
> to sponsor you as a GDAL committer if you were interested in helping to
> maintain the Java bindings.

Sure. I would just feel a little more comfortable if someone could
have a look at the patches at the beginning, since I've absolutely
no experience with SWIG. Making a patch that works for me doesn't make
it right :-)

> In the meantime, going through Tamas would
> be great, or if there is no hurry just file a bug and we will have Mateusz
> address it when he comes on stream as general maintainer.

I'll keep on creating patches as I need them, learning new technology is
entertaining :-)
When and if you feel comfortable givin me commit access, I'll accept it
gladly. Btw, how does it work vs managing changes?
For example, this patch changes the exportToWkb interface compared to
other languages (not much of an issue on the java side, since it wasn't
working before).
Next step for me will be to try and add a method to retrive a full
Feature attribute set in a single call, to reduce the JNI overhead
(rumor says a JNI call is 10 times more expensive than a regular java
method call). This will be a new method in the Swig java binding.

Are these kind of modifications ok? How many people are using the
java bindings, and how to relate with them?

Cheers
Andrea