[Gdal-dev] Format limitations in 64-bit architecture

Ozy Sjahputera sjahputerao at missouri.edu
Wed Feb 28 14:05:07 EST 2007

All,

 From the list of file formats currently supported by GDAL, GeoTIFF is
listed to have a 4 GB size limit.  Is this limitation due to the assumed
32-bit machine?  Or, will the size limit be bigger if we use a 64-bit
machine and OS?

What about other formats such as NITF and MEM?  Because the data type
size_t in a 32-bit system is defined as a 4-byte type, whereas in a
64-bit system it is defined as an 8-byte.   Does this mean the MEM
format is not limited to 2 GB anymore once we  work in the 64-bit system?

Thanks
Oz