[Gdal-dev] Gdal + python for map algebra script?

Webb Sprague webb.sprague at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 17:36:42 EST 2007

Hi all,

I would like to use python gdal to write some simple raster analysis
scripts, but I am having a hard time getting started or knowing where
to get started.

My basic idea:  (1) delimit a single band raster file with a vector
polygon, (2) calculate the mean ("m") and stdev ("s") for the pixels
the area, (3) normalize each pixel within the polygon by subtracting m
and dviding by s, (4) writing out the new raster file, with
modifications within the delimiting polygon.

I would like a command line tool with filename as input (that is easy).

If someone could point me to a tutorial or something that would be great.