[Gdal-dev] newbie: Python issues with gdal-1.4.0/VC8/Python24

Gregory, Matthew matt.gregory at oregonstate.edu
Tue Jan 9 18:57:48 EST 2007

I'm trying to compile GDAL with Python support on Windows using Visual C++ 8 (2005) and am banging my head against the wall.

In the nmake.opt file, I have set the following variables:

GDAL_HOME = C:\gdal-1.4.0
PY_INST_DIR = $(GDAL_HOME)\pymod
PYDIR = C:\Python24
VCDIR = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC

When I build, everything goes fine and I get what I would expect in the pymod directory (_gdal.dll, _gdal.exp, _gdal.lib).  I then include C:\Python24 in my PATH and C:\gdal-1.4.0\pymod in my PYTHONPATH.

When I try to run a sample Python script (e.g. "python rgb2pct.py"), I get the error message:

  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "rgb2pct.py", line 50, in ?
      import gdal
    File "C:\gdal-1.4.0\pymod\gdal.py", line 191, in ?
      import _gdal

I've compared _gdal.dll to the one found in a version that works (ie. the FWTools distribution) using "dumpbin /exports" and they look to have the same symbols.  This may be a naïve way of comparison, I'm guessing.

Note that my Python distribution came shipped with ArcGIS 9.2.  I don't think that would cause any issues, though.

I'm likely doing something very stupid, but I'm stumped.

thanks, matt

Matt Gregory
Faculty Research Assistant
Department of Forest Science