Fwd: [Gdal-dev] "gdalce.dll" & "gdalce_i.lib" for CE

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Jan 10 05:57:54 EST 2007

Avi wrote:
> My purpose is to create a new project in C# for pocket PC2003 in VS8
> using GDAL, the confusion comes from there.(reference-dependency).

A reference is a name of dependency used in .NET world.
Dependency is used in all other worlds :-)

For example,

library A is a dependency for client application B.

When both projects for A and B are added to the same solution in Visual
C++, then you need to check A as a dependency for project B.
Then, the project A will be built first, before B,
so B will get ready to use library A.

> I build gdalce.dll separately and add gdalce_i.lib to linker
> input(Additional Library Directories/ Additional Dependencies) in my new
> project C++.
>
> In this new project, I include the header files ".h" in the main cpp
> file. I believe that I would have to be able to use GDAL. Cannot open
> include file.

For headers, you need to configure include directories path so,
Visual C++ can locate header files.

Go to Project -> Properties -> Configuration Properties -> C/C++
Here, add paths Additional Include Directories.

What paths to add?

The best way to get them is to look at this property of
gdalce_dll.vcproj. Check value of Additional Include Directories for
gdalce_dll project. There you will find:

$(GDAL_DIR)\port, $(GDAL_DIR)\core, etc.

$(GDAL_DIR) is a macro which expands to the full path to the gdal-1.4.0
sources. NOTE: This macro is *ONLY* available for gdalce_dll project.
So, for your new project, for your application, replace it with full
path to the gdal-1.4.0 sources.

For example, your Additional Include Directories will get:

C:\sdk\gdal-1.4.0\port;C:\sdk\gdal-1.4.0\gcore;....

assuming you have GDAL in C:\sdk\gdal-1.4.0

I'm sorry, but I'm not able to include more complete manual about how to
use Visual C++ and how to configure Visual C++ projects, in the GDAL for
Windows CE guide.
So, for more details about using VC++, please refer MSDN, for example:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235422(VS.80).aspx

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot