[Gdal-dev] EPSG:32111

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 11 01:29:31 EST 2007

Simone Giannecchini wrote:
> Hi all,
> a quick curiosity.
> I have a geotiff that claims to be in EPSG:32111 crs. The out put of
> gdalinfo on it is as follows:
> Anyway if I check the EPSG SQL db I have in postgresql I see that the
> definition of the unit of measure is meters.
>
> I assume there has to be one and oly one EPSG:32111, hence how it
> comes that I get two different definitions each claiming to be 32111?
>
> I am using fwtools 1.1.3.

Simone,

A GeoTIFF file can declare itself to use EPSG:32111 but also include a
linear units override.  In this case GDAL will report the file as EPSG:32111
but updating the definition with the override linear units.  I assume this
is what is occuring in your case.

This is really a bug in the sense that GDAL should clear the authority
code for a coordinate system if any values have been overridden in this
fashion.  If you like, you could file an appropriate bug against GDAL.

Of course, it could be something else, but it is hard to know without the
file.  If you were to provide a listgeo output for the file, I could verify
that this is what is happening.