[Gdal-dev] Drivers for Golden Software Grid Formats (long)

Kevin Locke kwl7 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 29 18:40:53 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 23:27 +0000, Joaquim Luis wrote:
> Kevin Locke wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 15:50 +0000, Joaquim Luis wrote:
>>> Are you supporting both version 6 and version 7 binary formats?
>>> V6 format are normally all we want. V7 stores the grids with double
>>> precision only.
>>
>> I think you are talking about the Surfer Grid File Format, which is
>> different from the Golden Software Grid Formats (although Surfer is a
>> Golden Software product).  I am working from Appendix C of the Surfer
>> 8 User's Guide (which describes all three formats, and some others).
>> The only version information they have for the GS Grids is the
>> signature ('DSAA' for ASCII, 'DSBB' for binary).
>
> I'm lost here. Yes I'm talking about Surfer Grid Formats, and there 3 of
> them (I'm pretty sure on this)
>
> 'DSAA' for ASCII
> 'DSBB' for what the now call GS Binary (*.grd) format
> <../topics/surfer_6_grid_file_format.htm> and used to be the grid format up
> to version 6
> 'DSRB' for the default (complicated and un-necessary large) Surfer 7
> (*.grd) format <../topics/surfer_7_grid_file_format.htm>

I see.  For some reason it was not connecting in my brain (I was
thinking that the "Surfer" grid format was versioned and had always
been distinct from the "Golden Software" grid format, but now that I
understand you I think I was just confused).  To answer your question,
I am indeed only implementing version 6 at this point.

Cheers,      |      kwl7 at cornell.edu     |    kevinoid at jabber.org
Kevin        |   http://kevinlocke.name  |   kevinoid on freenode