[Gdal-dev] Tile structures for custom map publishing

Klokan Petr Přidal klokan at klokan.cz
Tue Jul 3 18:05:41 EDT 2007

Hello,

I have been inspecting several on-line map viewers, which are using
raster tiles, e.g. small static files served by a web server, for
on-line publishing of maps.

I always notice used map projection and coordinate system, size and
format of a tile, the structure of directories.

Result is available on a web page:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pm3_jKEJCJ2fWv3lToe7KZA

It contains notes and links for viewers:
Google Maps
Google Earth (KML)
Microsoft Live (VirtualEarth)
NASA WorldWind
OpenLayers
WorldKit

Structures:
OSGeo TMS
GeoQuadTree
Zoomify
Arc2Earth Publisher

The list is not complete for sure, so if anybody would like to add a
new viewer or repair some mistake, just let me know, I can give you
access or we can move that document into GDAL/OSGEO wiki.

I created this list of tile formats to choose the right solution for
implementing my Google SoC project (GDAL2Tiles) as variable as
possible.
This list give you overview how viewers allow you to publish your own
custom raster maps.
Formats of native map tiles is not described, if you need this have a
look into OpenLayers.org documentation.

Klokan