[Gdal-dev] ArcSDE Support in GDAL/OGR

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Tue Jul 3 19:46:57 EDT 2007

Christopher Barker wrote:
>> I don't know any
>> other good cheap/free raster-in-database solutions.
>
> PostGIS can't do it? Darn.

There have been a couple of musings about raster support in PostGIS over
the last few years, but I haven't seen anything ready for primetime.

> Is it really critical that the rasters themselves be stored in the
> database? Rather than say, references to files instead?

We may fall back on the file reference model, but our first preference
is to put all the data in the database. It's something of a marketing
strategy as well - all your data in one place.

Cheers,

Simon