[Gdal-dev] compile problems re: GIF on RHEL 5/64-bit platform

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Wed Jul 11 08:15:10 EDT 2007

John,

      If it helps, I've just compiled 1.4.2 on Centos 5 64-bit using the
external gif libraries and it finished compilation  using the system
giflib-devel-4.1.3-7.1.el5.1.  Frank,  what are the advantages of using the
internal gif library over the external gif library ?

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
I left my signature file in /dev/null

             Frank Warmerdam
             <warmerdam at pobox.
             Sent by:                  John Cartwright
             gdal-dev-bounces@         <John.C.Cartwright at noaa.gov>
             lists.maptools.or                                          cc
             g                         gdal-dev at lists.maptools.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Gdal-dev] compile problems re:
             07/10/2007 04:31          GIF on RHEL 5/64-bit platform
             PM

John Cartwright wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to compile 1.4.2 on a RHEL 5 platform.  I configured using
> "--with-gif=internal", but during the compilation process I'm stopped by:
> gcc -c -I/extra/contrib/src/gdal-1.4.2/port
> -I/extra/contrib/src/gdal-1.4.2/gcore
> -I/extra/contrib/src/gdal-1.4.2/alg -I/extra/contrib/src/gdal-1.4.2/ogr
> -I/extra/contrib/src/gdal-1.4.2/ogr/ogrsf_frmts -DOGR_ENABLED
> -Df2cFortran -D_POSIX_SOURCE -I/extra/contrib/src/gdal-1.4.2/port
> -I/extra/contrib/netcdf-3.6.2 -I/extra/contrib/netcdf-3.6.2/include
> -Ilibungif -Wall -O2 libungif/egif_lib.c  -fPIC -DPIC
> -o../o/.libs/egif_lib.o
> libungif/egif_lib.c: In function 'EGifOpenFileName':
> libungif/egif_lib.c:79: error: 'S_IREAD' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> libungif/egif_lib.c:79: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
> only once
> libungif/egif_lib.c:79: error: for each function it appears in.)
> libungif/egif_lib.c:79: error: 'S_IWRITE' undeclared (first use in this
> function)

John,

Could you try substituting:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/frmts/gif/libungif/egif_lib.c?format=raw

for gdal/frmts/gif/libungif/egif_lib.c and see if that builds?  If so,
please file a bug against GDAL and I'll make sure this fix makes it into
the 1.4 branch too.  I'm guessing that RHEL 5 is removing some deprecated
macros, like S_IREAD and S_IWRITE as part of a cleanup-and-modernize
effort.

warmerdam at pobox.com