[Gdal-dev] internals of ecw file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jul 13 11:43:27 EDT 2007

nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au wrote:
> I am trying to write a mapbasic program that, amongst
> other things, interrogates an ecw file for information
> such as;
> - datum/projection
> - bounding coordinates?
> My plan is to open the binary file, and use
> a Get statement to extract information. But I
> don't know where in the ecw to look.
>
> Does anyone know about the internals of an
> ecw file?

Nick,

I have always used the ECW SDK to access ecw files, and haven't
looked into the internal organization.  You could review the
ECW SDK source code to work out rough layout of the header of
the ECW file, or perhaps examine it in a binary editor to find
particular items.  That is if you are convinced you want to
directly open the file and read it yourself.

Alternatively, you could use the ECW SDK or GDAL to get this
information.

> WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain legally
> privileged, confidential or private information and may be protected by
> copyright. You may only use it if you are the person(s) it was intended
> to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way.  No one is
> allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print
> or copy this e-mail without appropriate authority.
>
> If this e-mail was not intended for you and was sent to you by mistake,
> please telephone or e-mail me immediately, destroy any hardcopies of
> this e-mail and delete it and any copies of it from your computer
> system. Any right which the sender may have under copyright law, and
> any legal privilege and confidentiality attached to this e-mail is not
> waived or destroyed by that mistake.
>
> It is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail does not contain
> and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by
> third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with
> your computer system).
>
> Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the
> opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads, Queensland
> Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or endorsed organisations
> utilising the same infrastructure.

Whew, that is a heck of a disclaimer.  I feel for you having this
appended to all your email.  It must be embarrassing.