[Gdal-dev] Will increasing the RAM on a server increase the speed of gdalwarp?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 17 15:40:30 EDT 2007

Christopher Smith wrote:
> Wow, thanks for the amazingly thorough and quick response (as opposed to
> my very first question, posed to the community weeks ago which is still
> "awaiting moderator approval"!).

Chris,

I'm the moderator and I gave up on sifting through posts-awaiting-approval
many months ago after many years of the drudgery.  The spam-to-signal
ratio is just too terrible.

> You have given us some wonderful tips
> and I am very grateful.  We are quite sure we are I/O rather than CPU
> bound and are presently planning our hardware strategy to improve
> throughput.  I was hoping that we might fine tune the software side of
> things as well.

I'd note that using a tile input and/or output format can reduce cache
thrashing for warps compared to using a scanline oriented format.  Erdas
Imagine (HFA driver) is a reasonable choice for very large tile oriented
images.  TIFF is good too up to the 4GB limit, but you need to specify
the TILED=YES creation option.