[Gdal-dev] looking for NoData compatibility with ESRI

Mark Phillips mbp at geomtech.com
Wed Jul 25 12:01:28 EDT 2007

I'd like to use GDAL to write raster files containing a NoData value, in a
binary format that can be recognized by ESRI software (ArcMap, etc).  I've
tried several experiments and haven't come up with anything that works yet.
Geotiff seemed like an obvious choice, but apparently ESRI uses a different
convention from GDAL in geotiffs for storing the NoData value.  I also tried
ERDAS Imagine format, but it seems that GDAL can't write the NoData value in
an HFA file.

It doesn't matter to me which format it is --- I just need support for one
band, georeferencing, and a NoData value, in a format that I can write with
GDAL and then hand over to someone who uses ArcMap, so that when they load
the file, ArcMap correctly understands the georeferencing and the NoData
value.

I think it will work with AAIGrid (ESRI's ascii grid format), but it is
huge.  Does anyone know if it is possible with one of the binary formats?

Thanks,

--Mark

--
Mark Phillips