[Gdal-dev] create Authorized WMS 1.1.1

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jun 6 10:42:01 EDT 2007

Ivan Mjartan wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> I have question, Sorry may be this is wrong group.
>
> So I need add authorization to my WMS service. I have to produce WMS for
> ESRI clients. I wrote this base on .Net C# … I am keeping WMS 1.1.1
> standard so I have no problem consume this service in ArcMap but without
> authorization. I try BASIC HTTP authorization but I am success just in
> non ESRI clients.
>
> Is there way to create Authorized WMS for ESRI clients? Or what kind of
>  authorization I have to use ?
>
> I thing that WMS is wrong way for ESRI clients, may be I have to create
> ArcIMS service. I know that ArcIMS is similar protocol like WMS but what
> I don’t know is what kind of authorization is used in ArcIMS service.
>
> Is there somebody how had same problem like me?

Ivan,

I'd respectfully suggest this is the wrong group to ask this question.  I'd
suggest subscribing to the following list and asking there, or asking on the
appropriate ESRI forums.

If the ArcGIS WMS client does not support a prompt based authorization
mechanism you may need to engineer some sort of special authorization key
into your URLs manually.  That is the only mechanism currently available
for the GDAL WCS client for instance.