[Gdal-dev] Building a customized raster format in ArcGIS 9.2 using GDAL

Lucena, Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Wed Jun 6 10:35:09 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Does anybody have ever followed those steps to add a raster format
support in ArcGIS using GDAL?

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Supported_raster_dataset_file_formats

If I understood it correctly, all you need to do is to build a GDAL
library and give it a name like (let’s use GRIB as an example)
gdal_grib.dll or gdal_grib.so, copy it to the ArcGIS's Bin folder and
update "RasterFormats.dat" by adding:

<e on="y" nm="GRIB" ex="*.grib" et="GRIB" at="0x27" />

And then: Vuala! You can display and do all kind of stuff with your new
format.

But it is not working. :-(

I can see the new format in the UI "Tools/Options/Raster/Raster
Formats", but when I try to load images I get:

"Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer."

I have some experience with the "legacy method" of adding a custom dll
and I thought that this one would be easier. But...

Does anybody have done that before? What is the trick?

Thanks in advance,

Ivan