[Gdal-dev] JP2 files (JPEG2000)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 8 00:22:20 EDT 2007

juan wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have to read some JP2 geocoded image files that have been created with Kakadu
> software (I believe). The thing is that using gdal drivers as in the tutorial
> but I see the file, dimensions of the image and type but I seem to loose the
> geo-referencing information and also when I try to access the values they all
> return a zero value.
>
> Does anyone tell me if GDAL supports this type of files? If not, does anyone
> know a solution to read these files?

Juan,

GDAL supports a variety of geocoding formats in JPEG2000 files, but I'm not
sure what mechanism Kakadu is using for it's encoding.  I'd add that some
of the support for different formats was added fairly recently to GDAL
so if you are using something older than 1.4.0 that could be an issue.

Do you happen to know what encoding form Kakadu is using?  Can you supply
a small file with geocoding I can inspect?