[Gdal-dev] Surfer binary grids support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 15 16:50:14 EDT 2007

Ionut Iordache wrote:
> Greetings,
> I'm trying to use GDAL under Solaris 8 to convert Surfer 8 binary grids
> (or even ASCII) to ArcInfo floating point grids (.hdr and .flt files).
> I don't know whether the Surfer 7 format (GS7BG, advertised as supported
> for reading in GDAL) is the same as what Surfer 8 outputs, but I wanted
> give it a shot.
> My problem is that I can't find support for any of the Surfer grids
> formats in the downloaded version of the GDAL 1.4.1.0 source code.
> The directory "gdal/frmts/gsg" is simply missing from the source tree
> and after compiling and installing from source, "--formats" doesn't list
> any Surfer formats as being supported.
>
> So, my question is two-fold:
> - what version of the GDAL source code I need to download in order to
> get the Surfer driver code, and
> - does anyone know if my Surfer 8 binary grids would be readable by the
> GS7BG driver ?

Ionut,

I'm not too knowledgable about this driver, but I believe it is only
in GDAL 1.5 (aka the development version).

You can test them quickly using the FWTools builds for linux or windows
which are built from the development trunk.

You can also grab snapshots of the development source (trunk) from:

   http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/daily