[Gdal-dev] Possible enhanced NetCDF support in GDAL

A.Th.C. Hulst hulst at argoss.nl
Tue Jun 26 15:59:04 EDT 2007

-------------Original mail Paavo ----------------
> Hello,

<snip>
excerpt:
Added support for colortables in netCDF. Configuration, including, add_offset
scale_factor, is done from xml file
</snip>

I've offered code for the netCDF driver to apply scale_factor and offset on
the fly. Same as you I'm having an issue with the colorisation of my raster
data.

> Our typical application of this enhanced driver is to access and map
> oceanographic data such as SST contained in annual or six monthly
> aggregate files. These files typically have the data stored in 3d arrays
> (lat, lon, time) and sometimes 4d arrays (lat, lon, time, depth). With
> this modified driver it is simple to access a particular time slice for
> viewing as map data. The ability to colourise the data with a
> customisable colour table is a nice bonus.
My interest is also in the oceanographic field. I wonder whether it won't be
easier to display the data using a default rainbow pseudo colortable. I gues
that once you have that, you can modify the colortable with processing
options from mapserver.

I'm very interested in the Colortable impletation that you did in the netCDF
driver. Can I ask you to send me a copy?

> If you are interested in including it or a modified version of it into
> new releases of gdal I'll gladly offer the code to you and bring it up
> to date to the latest development version, though I can't promise much
> commitment for furture maintenance. It would seem that this approach to
> generalisation would possbily work well with other file formats such as
> HDF.

Best regards,
Sander