[Gdal-dev] Possible enhanced NetCDF support in GDAL

A.Th.C. Hulst hulst at argoss.nl
Wed Jun 27 02:25:07 EDT 2007

Hi Paavo,

I've looked at your code. Since version 1.2.6 the netCDF driver had quite some
changes. For instance, it takes care of the geometric dimensions for you now.
That code can be skipped. As I said before, I've also modified it so that it
support scale and offset. Unfortunately, I've used a similar trick as you did
to recast the pImage, so that would complicate things a bit. My
netcdfdataset.cpp can be found in the trac system of gdal
(http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1660).

What do you think would be the best way to reimplement your code in the 1.4.x
driver? It seems logical to me that only color information is configured in
the XML file. All other information is included in the netCDF file itself and
should be obtained from there (geometrics, noDataValues etc.).

It might be an idea to put as much code as possible in a seperate file so we
only have to update the bindings when a new version arrives.

Sander