[Gdal-dev] gis concepts

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jun 27 10:09:19 EDT 2007

kevser sonmez wrote:
> Hi;
> I have been looking and even still looking to the sites you have sent.
> Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to read s57 data with OGR. I
> would like to view the data in s 52 format, in Java. I dont know whether
> I have choosen the right way to view the S52 data but I want to make
> something that is platform independent. Shall I choose OpenGL, instead
> of Java drawing? Which would be more efficient?

Kevser,

I am not aware of any pre-prepared open source solution for s-52
rendering of S-57 data into Java.

> I have found some workings on OpenEv for s 52 viewing, but I want to
> know whether the working is over or mature enough to be used. So that
> there is no need for me to reinvent the wheel. Or there are some other
> works on the issue?? Or shall I have to fiddle into the code?

My personal opinion is that this code is orphaned, and not all that
mature so if you use it you should expect some hassles.  But you might
want to try and contact the author directly.

> And also I am curious whether there is a
> documentation/tutorial/site/anything for s57 producing other than the
> specification. I have the 3.1 specification of the s 57 data format. But
> as far as I understood, it is returning to 4.0 standard?

As far as I know the 3.1 specification applies to data in current distribution
and I don't think the 4.0 spec will matter from a practical point of view for
a while.  But I don't follow this issue very closely.

For resources, I often refer to the Universal Systems S-57 page which has a
nice online object dictionary:

   http://www.caris.com/S-57/frames/S57catalog.htm

You might also find the OpenECDIS forum useful:

   http://www.openecdis.org/