[Gdal-dev] ogrinfo related

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jun 28 10:18:12 EDT 2007

kevser sonmez wrote:
> Hi there,
> I was using ogrinfo.exe without problem yesterday, but today something
> has happened (as far as I remember I just moved some locations of the
> files), when I call for an enc-s57 data to look for the naming info of
> layers with ogrinfo; it always returns of 5 layers like Point, Line,
> Area... regardless of the data? Yesterday I could be able to get the
> specific names from the IHO Object Catalogue; like ADMARE, DEPARE ...
> What do you think may have happened, related with this Object Catalogue?

Kevser,

In order to represent object classes properly the OGR S-57 driver needs
access to the various object catalog files such as s57objectclasses.csv.
These are normally found in gdal/data in the source.  On windows systems
you normally have to set the GDAL_DATA environment variable to point to the
directory where these are found.  On Unix this isn't necessary if they
are installed in the standard location (/usr/local/share/gdal).

I don't know if you are using FWTools, but if you are it sets up various
paths at install time, and you can't move things afterwards without fixing
this up or some things won't work right.