[Gdal-dev] DTED Performance on Windows

Jason Beverage jbeverage at prologic-inc.com
Tue Mar 6 11:23:46 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with the DTED driver, especially on Windows.  I'm
attempting to read an entire DTED 2 into memory using a single RasterIO
call, and I found that performance is horrible.  I read in a mailing
list post that setting the cache size to be about 30 MB would increase
the speed, and it does, but performance is still pretty bad on Windows.

I ran a simple test loading the DTED with a single RasterIO call on my
3.0 Gz P4 windows machine and it takes about 2 minutes to load the file
with a cache size of 30 MB.  On my 1.2 gz Mac Mini G4, it only takes
about 6 seconds to load the file with a 30 mb cache.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to speed up performance on
Windows or have a more efficient way to load up DTED data?

Thanks,

Jason