[Gdal-dev] GPX format support

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca
Fri Mar 9 13:16:35 EST 2007

Hi,

I've been thinking of this for awhile now (since I bought my GPS a few
months ago :) )

Does OGR have any GPX (http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp) support at
all?

A couple of scenarios:

- user would like to upload / visualize their GPX formatted waypoints on
a web mapping application

- user would like to export their geospatial data into GPX format to
load onto their GPS unit

I know one can hack this via mapscript and / or OGRs API, but does
anyone think there's value in making this a generic functionality?

Also, I initially thought this would be neat MapServer (mapgpx.c)
addition, but maybe it's better fitted elsewhere for broader leverage
potential?  Hence my email here.

Comments?

..Tom