[Gdal-dev] Ready to commit first batch of swig-java changes

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 14:59:43 EDT 2007

2007/3/18, Andrea Aime <aaime at openplans.org>:
> Hi,
> as you may know, I've been working on making WKB useful as
> a transfer format to cross the JNI barrier.
> When I started, things weren't working as expected (JVM crash)
> because of different interpretation of what a char is on
> either side (8 bit on the C side, 16 bits character on the java side).

Just an idea. Can't it be handled by using %typemap(jni) char *wkb_buf
... for mapping the original type to the java expected type. As far as
I can see only the mapping of the type is the problem but the
implementation of that method is the same.

> I had to perform a bit of changes in both the functions returning wkb,
> and the geometry construction ones that do take wkb as an input.
> The outcome is not a fully clean extension as I hoped, because
> the geometry constructor calls a static function that should
> be defined before it. Anyways, the patch is attached for anyone
> to review. I do believe a similar patch would be needed for c#
> to handle geometry creation from wkb, too.

Would you describe this issue in more detail? I think those static
functions have already been declared in ogr_api.h.

> Do you have any kind of procedure I have to follow
> before committing? In Geoserver I would open a jira issue to
> record the change, so that the jira changelog contained that change
> too.

Those changes doesn't affect the other languages so you can commit the
changes freely. None of us can be attentive to the java related issues
as much as you can  :-)

If you described the java related build steps and the required
softwares in the various platforms we could surely add them to the
buildbot.

Best regards,

Tamas