[Gdal-dev] No CoordSys line in exported Mif file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 22 12:04:19 EDT 2007

Joerg Schwerdt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my name is Joerg and I have no experience using GDAL/OGR.
>
> I wrote a program that creates mif/mid files using the ogr_api.h functions.
> Everything is working fine
> except that there is no CoordSys line in the header of the mif file.
> Unfortunately the MapInfo program
> can't read that mif-file.
>
> What can I do to tell OGR to create this line?  (I'm using the C interface -
> ogr_api.h)

Joerg,

You should be able to pass an OGRSpatialReferenceH to OGR_DS_CreateLayer()
containing your coordinate system, and then OGR/MITAB will write out a
corresponding CoordSys line in the file.

You could create a WGS84 coordinate system object like this:

     OGRSpatialReferenceH hSRS;

     hSRS = OSRNewSpatialReference(NULL);
     OSRSetFromUserInput( hSRS, "WGS84" );
     ... create layer ...
     OSRDestroySpatialReference( hSRS );

Note that you will need to include ogr_srs_api.h.  You might also find the
following tutorial instructive, though it is focused on the C++ version of
the API:

   http://www.gdal.org/ogr/osr_tutorial.html