[Gdal-dev] ReadBlock in C#

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 27 17:24:16 EDT 2007

Richard Matsunaga wrote:
> Why is the ReadBlock (and WriteBlock for that matter) method not
> included in the SWIG wrapper?
>
> Equivalent functionality is possible with ReadRaster, but this is not as
> elegant as using ReadBlock, especially since there is such a nice
> example in the ReadBlock documentation. Is there a list of methods that
> are not supported by SWIG (and why they are not supported)?

Richard,

I believe that ReadBlock() is not available from the SWIG interface because
it would mean a need for a batch of GDALRasterBlock interfaces.  Direct
access to raster blocks is mostly for internal use within drivers and I
now try to discourage even C/C++ applications from using it.

This could be reconsidered if there was a compelling need, but I'd rather
have applications use RasterIO() and it's SWIG equivelents.