[Gdal-dev] MITAB driver update (was: Motion: GDAL/OGR 1.4.1 Release Timing)

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Mar 30 08:08:58 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> So I'd like to suggest that we aim for a GDAL/OGR 1.4.1 beta Thursday
> April 5th with the intent to produce a 1.4.1 release on Monday April 9th.

Talking of release timing, I have made several changes in the MITAB
library since the last update of the OGR copy of MITAB (currently MITAB
1.5.1) and was wondering when would be the best time to sync the OGR
copy. Is a stable release of GDAL/OGR a good time to upgrade the MITAB
driver to a new version that includes new features or should that be
done only in trunk?

I'm about to release MITAB 1.6.1 and the changes since 1.5.1 are more
than bug fixes, one of the changes is a complete rework of the way the
spatial index is generated. There are also a few important fixes to the
collection code that was introduced in MITAB 1.5.1, i.e. the current
OGR-MITAB based on 1.5.1 may produce corrupt files when writing collections.

I think it is relatively safe and would be beneficial to update the
MITAB driver in the stable branch for this release of GDAL, but before
upgrading the driver I wanted to find out what was the PSC's opinion
about making non-trivial changes inside drivers in the stable branch.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/