[Gdal-dev] "Could not allocate enough memory" when translating VRT to ECW

Asger Sigurd Petersen ASP at blominfo.dk
Wed May 2 05:42:30 EDT 2007

Dear list,

While experimenting with compression of vrt-files, I've run into the
following error:

D:\tmp>gdal_translate -of ECW --config ECW_LARGE_OK YES -co TARGET=90
-co DATUM=WGS84 -co PROJ=NUTM32 mosaic.vrt mosaic.ecw
Input file size is 263092, 246181
0..ERROR 1: An error has occurred: Error 46 "Could not allocate enough
memory"
file "" line 0
ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 15825
ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 15825
100 - done.

As far as I can see, there is lots of available memory when the error
occurs. If I add something like "-outsize 10% 10%" to the command above
everything works as expected.

The VRT consists of ECW files which together forms an irregular shaped
mosaic.

I'm on windows using "GDAL 1.4.0.0, FWTools 1.2.3, released 2007/02/22".

Looking in the archives I was only able to find one similar post
(http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2005-August/006264.html)
which apparently didn't get any replies.

Any hints?

Best regards
Asger