[Gdal-dev] Unable to load PROJ.4 library in GDAL

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:40:08 EDT 2007

I'm having problems with the GDAL installation I have running in Cygwin on
Windows XP.  It appears that GDAL is unable to find some of the proj
libraries that it needs.  I ran the following command:
gdalwarp -s_srs "EPSG:32651" -t_srs "EPSG:4326" input.tif output.tif

it gave this error when it ran:

ERROR 6: Unable to load PROJ.4 library (libproj.dll), creation of
OGRCoordinateTransformation failed.

I did a search and found posts saying that I should download and install
proj from source, then compile GDAL with static linking to proj using the
"--with-static-proj4" configure flag.  I downloaded and installed
proj-4.5.0from source yesterday, but am unsure what path to give the
"--with-static-proj" option.

Can someone give me a few pointers about what I should look for?

Thanks,

Roger