[Gdal-dev] Help with building GDAL with HDF5 support

Filip Rooms filip.rooms at incgeo.be
Mon May 7 11:39:12 EDT 2007

Dear list,

I have a small problem with building GDAL 1.4.1 with HDF5 support.
I use Mandriva 2007 (not yet the Spring 2007 version). It provides

libhdf5.a             libhdf5_hl.la         libhdf5.so

in /usr/lib; the corresponding header is located in /usr/include

in the standard repositories of Mandriva (libhdf5_0-1.6.5-2mdv2007.0
andlibhdf5_0-devel-1.6.5-2mdv2007.0 ).

when I run the configure script as follows

configure --prefix=/home/frooms/gdal-test --with-hdf5=/usr/lib

I get
	checking for H5Fopen in -lhdf5... no (yet with nm on libhdf5, it
responds with 0000549d T H5Fopen, so the symbol is defined)

  HDF5 support:              yes

When I checked the dependencies of gdal after compilation with ldd,
there was no mentioning of libhdf5, and linking ogrinfo failed
(undefined references to the HDF5 stuff).

What did I do wrong, and how can I build my GDAL then with HDF5 support?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Filip Rooms

software developer IncGEO, Belgium