[Gdal-dev] RFC 12: Improved File Management

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 7 12:29:44 EDT 2007

Ari Jolma wrote:
> Datasource has GetLayerCount and GetLayerByIndex methods. With these it
> is easy to develop dialog boxes which show only the available layers to
> the user. GDAL does not have such functionality, I'm hoping the RFC-11
> will give it that.

Ari,

I normally think of OGRLayer's as being analygous to bands, and GDAL
already provides good mechanism to enumerate and query band information.

I think something like RFC 11 and 12 could be equally useful for OGR,
but it just isn't on my priority list, and as mentioned earlier I hope
it will come nearly for free as part of a "grand unification" one day.