[Gdal-dev] .ige spill file in HFA keeps growing!

Ozy Sjahputera sjahputerao at missouri.edu
Tue May 8 14:20:49 EDT 2007

I have been playing with HFA format for the last couple of months.
Before this, we were using GeoTiff format.  But GeoTiff inability to
handle image size >4GB forced us to switch to HFA.

For those who have used HFA format, it basically store the image in a
single file if the image size is <2GB.  Anything bigger will cause a
"spill" file (.ige) to be created.

So I am trying to create a new HFA file using Create() with HFA driver.
Everything works as expected, except that I began noticing my .ige file
keeps growing in size.  Apparently, if I try to create a file, and there
exists an HFA file of the same image size (with an .ige present) in the
disk already, instead of overwriting the old file Create() simply
appends the new HFA image to the existing .ige file.  So if I run the
program several time in the same directory, the .ige file will balloon
up in size in proportion to the number of times you try to create the
HFA file.

When I try to open the HFA image using OpenEV, the image looked wrong.
Blocks are misaligned and scattered all over the place.  However, I can
still access the image correctly using GDAL.  gdalinfo also displays the
correct metadata, and hfatest does not show any anomaly either (that I
know of).

I just wish Create() in HFA format would overwrite any old file.

Anyone ever experienced this problem with HFA?

Thanks

Ozy