[Gdal-dev] Win32 Binaries

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri May 11 16:51:00 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've taken my first crack at producing Win32 binaries for GDAL 1.4.1.
>
>   http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/gdalwin32exe141.zip
>   http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/gdalwin32dev141.zip
>
> This is built using VC7.1 (Visual Studio .NET 2003).  I have confirmed
> that C applications (like gdalinfo.c) can be built against these libraries
> using other compilers - I tested with VC6.

Frank,

AFAIU, the dev version is dedicated for developers,
so they are supposed to build their applications in Debug mode.
If a user does not use Visual Studio .NET 2003 (compiler Visual C++
7.1), but he uses ie. VS2005, they he won't be able to run debug builds,
because there are no debug versions of 7.1 CRT DLLs available in the system.

The problem is that all debug libraries shipped with Visual Studio
are not redistributable, and they can not be distributed, AFAIK
according to EULA.

Summarizing, GDAL devel package prepared with VS.NET2003 is unusable
with VS2005.

I'd suppose that similar problem is with Visual Studio .NET 2002 and
6.0, isn't it?

> The executables and corresponding gdal14.dll are fairly minimimal.  I
> used the default set of built-in drivers.  No external libraries were
> used.

Is this correct, that there are only debug version of binaries
in the dev package and release versions are missing?

> I'd appreciate folks trying these out a bit and let me know of problems
> encountered.

I started testing these binaries, and the non-devel version works so
far, but the devel one is unusable for me, as far as I tested.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net