[Gdal-dev] VS2005 SP 1 warning

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sun May 13 09:11:58 EDT 2007

Ivan Lucena wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I was doing some test with the GDAL binary distribution and VS2005 crashed
> on me.
>
> I recently updated VC2005 SP 1 and my advice for those that us VC2005 is
> "Don't!"

Ivan,

Unfortunately, it's not so easy.
The SP1 is required for Vista.

Recently, I've been fighting with similar problems:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/fdo-internals/2007-April/001037.html

I uninstalled SP1 what broken my system completely, then I did clean
installation of my Windows XP
and VS2005 again and without SP1 for VS2005, environment for Mobile Devices
is completely broken, project wizards don't work, so I had to install SP1,
again.

Flortunately, 4 weeks ago Microsoft release new version of redistributable
package with runtime components compatible with binaries built
using VS2005 + SP1.

This redistributable package fixes the error you are reporting.
Also, I've not experienced any of crashes you're writing about.

So, in my opinion the correct strategy is to:
- install VS2005
- install SP2 for VS2005
- build software as usual
- ship your software *with*  Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable
Package (x86), see this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en

Cheers
--