[Gdal-dev] open files from mysql

Emanuele Conti emanuele.conti at gmail.com
Mon May 14 13:58:10 EDT 2007

Hi everybody,
I'm working on my final university thesis and I worked on the synergy
between grass63 and mysql. In particular I also developed a patch for gdal
that let it open raster map files directly from a mysql db (assumed that
files are stored in mediumblob columns, for example).
I'd like to know if this patch could be of any interest to gdal community
and if chances are that the code could be accepted as a contribution in the
source tree (I could also modify and optimize the code starting from any
feedback, too).
Practically what can be done with this patch is, for example:

gdal_translate
MYSQL:test,user=root,password=,host=localhost,port=3306,table=maps,file_name=a_map.dt1
/tmp/a_map.tif

or, from grass:

r.in.gdalinput=MYSQL:test,user=root,password=,host=localhost,port=3306,table=maps,file_id=33
output=map_id_33.dt1

Many Thanks.

--
Emanuele Conti