[Gdal-dev] speeding up the gdalwarp process for mosaicing andreprojection

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Mon May 14 18:32:05 EDT 2007

John -

Are the input and output files on the same disk subsystem, and what kind
of disk(s) is involved?

gdalwarp will run as a single task, so if it uses 1 processor 100% of
the time you'll see 25% utilization.  If you run two gdalwarp jobs at
the same time, using the same disks, you can very easily cause disk
thrashing and bog the whole process down, so it's not surprising to find
two jobs in parallel takes more than two jobs run serially.

If possible, have the input and output files on different disks, and
avoid having read/write activity on the same disk or more than one job
writing to the same disk.

-          Ed

Ed McNierney

President and Chief Mapmaker