[Gdal-dev] Win32 Binaries

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 15 13:17:13 EDT 2007

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I've taken my first crack at producing Win32 binaries for GDAL 1.4.1.
>>
>>   http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/gdalwin32exe141.zip
>>   http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/gdalwin32dev141.zip
>>
>> This is built using VC7.1 (Visual Studio .NET 2003).  I have confirmed
>> that C applications (like gdalinfo.c) can be built against these libraries
>> using other compilers - I tested with VC6.
>
> Frank,
>
> AFAIU, the dev version is dedicated for developers,
> so they are supposed to build their applications in Debug mode.
> If a user does not use Visual Studio .NET 2003 (compiler Visual C++
> 7.1), but he uses ie. VS2005, they he won't be able to run debug builds,
> because there are no debug versions of 7.1 CRT DLLs available in the system.
> Is this correct, that there are only debug version of binaries
> in the dev package and release versions are missing?

Mateusz,

No, the gdalwin32dev141.zip package also include gdal_i.lib which is
the release build stub library corresponding to gdal14.dll, the release
DLL distributed as part of gdalwin32exe141.zip.

My understanding then is that folks with VS2005 cannot use the *debug*
version of GDAL, but can still build their application with debug and
use the release version of GDAL.  The downside of course is that they
can't debug into GDAL.

Basically then the gdal_iD.lib and gdal14d.dll are extras for folks
who happen to have VS2003.  Others will basically have to use the
release version of GDAL even if they are building their own apps with
debug.  If they really want to debug into GDAL then they will need to
build it themselves.

In fact, when we distribute plugins they will need to be specifically
for a release or debug build I imagine.  Perhaps it would be simpliest
if I just omit any debug version of stuff from the package?  That way
folks won't accidentally try to use it with the wrong version of the
compiler, or run into problems with plugins not working in debug.