[Gdal-dev] gdal formats

Gong, Shawn (Contractor) Shawn.Gong at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed May 23 17:40:56 EDT 2007

Hi List,

Questions for gdal 1.4.0 on Linux

openev.sourceforge.net's Building gdal for Linux/Unix suggests that:
configure --with-libz=internal --with-png=internal
--with-libtiff=internal --with-geotiff=internal

The gdal/frmts/ contents include png/gtiff/libtiff
1) There is no libz under gdal/frmts/, but zlib instead.  Is zlib=libz?

2) Since I have installed zlib/jpeg, I should set them as external,
right?

3) The gdal/frmts/ contents also include hdf4/hdf5/jpeg2000
Doest it mean that I can use these internal libraries? I thought that
HDF4/5 needs to be downloaded from HDF group.

4) Assume that internal hdf4/hdf5 support are ok, the followings lines
in GDALmake.opt need to be changed to:
	# HDF4 Support.
	HAVE_HDF5     = yes
	HDF4_INCLUDE  =  -I$(frmts/hdf4)

	# HDF5 Support.
	HAVE_HDF5     = yes
	HDF5_INCLUDE  =  -I$(frmts/hdf5)
Is this right?  Do I need to add -L flags?

5) what about jpeg2000, do I need to download JasPer?  Or
	# JPEG-2000 Support via JasPer library.
	HAVE_JASPER     = yes
	JASPER_INCLUDE  = -I$(frmts/jpeg2000)

Do I need to change proj4 setting?