[Gdal-dev] place for user contributed utilities?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sat Nov 10 08:58:50 EST 2007

Matt Wilkie wrote:
> Dear GDAL,
>
> I've pointed two people towards the gdal trac lately as for putting
> contributed utilities. However is creating a newticket as an enhancement
> request actually the best place/process?
>
> The "How to contribute FAQ" http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQ is not
> yet answered. Perhaps my question can drive that a little :)
>
> My ulterior motive of course is to get tools that I'm interested in
> carried along with the rest of the gdal tree as it develops, and as an
> easy method of acquiring windows binaries.

Matt,

Personally, I believe reporting a Ticket is the best way to submit
contributions. Here is one of examples how GeoJSON driver have been
incorporated to the GDAL:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1968

I created new Ticket of type of enhancement and now we are refer to this
ticket when submitting driver code, driver test cases, changes to the
building configuration required for the new driver, etc.
So, we can track all necessary updates and changes in one plance,
using single Ticket. After a new driver is incorporated and well tested,
we can annotate and close the ticket.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot