[Gdal-dev] Changes in the Perl bindings API (should not break anything)

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Fri Nov 16 17:21:33 EST 2007

I've improved the Perl bindings API a bit. Mainly I've tried to remove
all needs to use the constants like $Geo::GDAL::Const::wkbPoint and use
strings instead. Nothing should have been broken, it's just a thin new
layer I've added.

I've created some new constructors with the name of create. I'll use a
new name since I don't know how to feasibly replace the "new"
constructors Swig creates. For example, geometries can be created now
like this:

$geom = Geo::OGR::Geometry->create('Point');

I've also updated the documentation of the Perl bindings and marked as
"deprecated" those methods that I think shouldn't be used. The
documentation is written in Doxygen and it is a bit difficult to
produce, I've set up nightly (around 1 am Finnish time - the latest
should be there soon) production of them here:
http://map.hut.fi/doc/Geo-GDAL/html/index.html

There's still much to do, for example add code to keep parent objects
live when their variables go out of scope and children still exist; code
that would ease the transfer of data from Perl to GDAL and vice versa;
documentation; etc. Comments and help are welcome.

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Geoinformaatio- ja paikannustekniikka / Geoinformation and positioning