[Gdal-dev] Understanding GEOS projected space

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Nov 19 04:55:52 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm porting georeferentiation information from meteosatlib to GDAL, and
I'm currently stuck dealing with the numbers I get from proj.

What I cannot find is, in the GEOS projection, what do the projected
values represent.

Angles from the subsatellite point to the projected point with the
vertex on the satellite, or something else?  In what measurement unit?

I could not find this kind of information neither in
http://remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/geos.html nor in the section
4.4.3.2 of the pdf document referred by the page, where the projection
is described.  I'm afraid I lack the math background to infer it from
the formulas of the projection.

Ciao,

Enrico

--