[Gdal-dev] The perfect raster format - which is it?

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Mon Nov 19 15:06:13 EST 2007

To throw in my 2c, the answer is of course: it all depends...

For instance, you don't say if you need data types other than byte, or a
number of bands other than 1 or 3, or whether lossy compression is
acceptable, or whether your images are targeted at a particular
community, or whether you want to do random access updates, or whether
you need to store images larger than 4GB, or whether you need
georeferencing support, or arbitrary metadata support, or...

Generically though, GeoTIFF is perhaps the most complete non-proprietary
format supported by GDAL. However it suffers from the severe problem
that standard TIFF files have a 4GB file size limit (you can create
BIGTIFF files with unlimited file size, but not all readers will read
them). Also, multi-band and non-byte support is not part of the core
spec so different applications may or may not support it. Also, not all
readers support the deflate compression method, which is the only decent
lossless compression TIFF offers.

You might also consider JPEG2000, which supports a wide variety of
storage formats, including lossy or lossless compression.

I'm surprised that HFA doesn't support NODATA though.

Cheers,

Sy